Menu

Heritage

Heritage

Founded as a Presbyterian School for boys in 1897, Scotch College enjoys a reputation for providing education of outstanding quality.

Today, Scotch provides educational opportunities for boys in Years 1 to 12 from a variety of backgrounds and geographical locations.

The College symbolically maintains its historical Scottish association. Tartan ties for individual School Houses and an internationally recognized Pipe Band all contribute to a unique sense of history and community at the School. These elements give Scotch a special distinctiveness as a school and help define our student community.

A Brief History

  • In 1896, the Revd D Ross proposed to the Perth Presbytery of WA that a Scotch College be established.

  • The School was officially opened in February 1897 in Beaufort Street, Perth with an initial roll of 28 pupils. Mr John Sharpe, MA, was the first Headmaster.

  • In 1904 Mr Sharpe resigned and Mr P C Anderson was appointed.

  • Through the generosity of Mr J M Ferguson, the present Senior School property in Swanbourne was purchased. The new buildings were opened in 1905 and catered for 140 boys.

  • The property to the north of Shenton Road was acquired during and after the First World War.

  • Mr P C Anderson retired as Headmaster in 1945. Senior Assistant, Mr G G Campbell acted as Headmaster until Dr G Maxwell Keys took over in 1947.

  • In 1968 Dr G Maxwell Keys handed over to Mr D H Prest. The Parents' Association was formed during Mr Prest's Headmastership.

  • Mr W R Dickinson was appointed Headmaster in 1972. During a 25 year period, the School established Moray - an outdoor education camp near Dwellingup; constructed a teaching block, a resource and computing centre, a new dining hall, and physical education centre; and restored Collegians House, the main administration building.

  • Mr W R Dickinson introduced the House system which is the foundation of the pastoral care programme at Scotch.

  • In January 1998, Revd Andrew P Syme commenced as Headmaster.

  • In July 2011, Dr Alec O'Connell commenced as Headmaster.